Many women suffer from menstrual issues (including but not limited to PMS/PMT, dysmenorrhoea and irregular periods) and struggle to determine a cause or reason for what they are experiencing. Whether it’s pain, irregularity, mood instability or other physical/mental symptoms, menstrual issues can be an indication of a number of imbalances within the body.
Ayurvedic tradition believes that the accumulation of toxins and subsequent blockage of circulation plays a major role in menstruation issues. In Ayurveda, the type of symptoms a woman experiences before/during or after menstruation depends on the type of dosha imbalance present.
- Vata imbalance may cause anxiety, insomnia, headaches, painful periods or a scanty menstrual flow
- Pitta imbalance may cause acne/skin irritation, excessive bleeding and irritability
- Kapha imbalance may cause feelings of depression, heaviness in the body, lethargy or skipped periods
To effectively treat PMS, PMT and menstrual issues, you will work closely alongside one of our Ayurvedic doctors to diagnose exactly what is happening within your body. A variety of tools is often utilised to form a thorough diagnosis, which then informs treatment. The treatment protocol will focus on restoring the balance of the body and the normal, healthy functioning of the tissues.
The treatment protocol will focus on:
- Removing the build up of toxins within the body
- Improving nutrition and digestive function
- Lowering stress levels and supporting the nervous system
- Strengthening the bodies ability to heal
This four-pronged approach works beyond the surface systems to completely overhaul your health and well-being at a deeper level and may involve:
- Lifestyle modification
- Prescription of kitchen and medicinal herbal medicines
- Instruction in gentle yoga postures and breathing exercises
- Prescription of Ayurvedic rejuvenating massage and detoxing treatments
To find out more about our Ayurvedic Doctor consults click here
To find out more about which treatments we recommend for PMS, PMT or menstrual issues, click these links:
For more information about how Ayurveda can assist in creating optimum health and well-being, click here