Sinusitis is an uncomfortable condition that affects the para-nasal sinuses causing infection or inflammation. This is usually due to a build up of mucus or swelling of the lining of the sinuses and nose. Allergies, the common cold and environmental irritants can all lead to the occurrence of sinusitis. Symptoms of this condition include:
- Blocked nose
- Pressure and/or pain inside the face
- Yellow or green mucus from the nose
While the majority of people will experience short term, manageable sinusitis, the condition can be become chronic for others who are prone to infection or have increased susceptibility.
Modern medicine usually treats sinusitis with medication including anti-inflammatories and nasal decongestants. The Ayurvedic approach looks more closely at the reasons why toxic mucus is building up in the first place. Poor diet and digestion, stress and a compromised or struggling immune system with an imbalance of kapha can impact the body’s immune response to bacteria in the sinus area leading to blockages and inflammation.
To effectively treat sinusitis, you will work closely alongside one of our Ayurvedic doctors to diagnose exactly what is happening within your body. A variety of tools is utilised to form a thorough diagnosis, which then informs treatment. The treatment protocol will focus on restoring the balance of the body and the normal, healthy functioning of the tissues.
The treatment protocol will focus on:
- Removing the build up of toxins within the body
- Improving metabolism and digestion
- Lowering stress levels and supporting the nervous system
- Strengthening the bodies ability to heal
This four-pronged approach works beyond the surface systems to completely overhaul your health and wellbeing at a deeper level and may involve:
- Lifestyle modification
- Prescription of kitchen and medicinal herbal medicines
- Instruction in gentle yoga postures and breathing exercises
- Prescription of Ayurvedic rejuvenative massage and detoxing treatments
To find out more about our Ayurvedic Doctor consults click here
For more information about how Ayurveda can assist in creating optimum health and wellbeing, click here