Rasayana – Ayurvedic Rejuvenation Therapy
Have you heard of the anti-aging life-promoting jewel in the Ayurveda crown – Rasayana?
This amazing process is the Ayurvedic way of achieving the finest quality body tissue and as a result, will improve the quality of life. Often referred to as rejuvenation therapy, Rasayana is an anabolic therapy focused on improving the body’s resistance. All Anabolic therapies involve stimulating metabolic activity within the body and the biosynthesis of complexes like proteins and acids. If Anabolic processes can be retained in balance then the tissue will remain healthy ensuring good health.
Rasayana is aimed at rejuvenating the whole body and its effectiveness has been borne out by scientific analysis that has shown that Rasayana can help to insulate the body from the damages of age by improving the body’s ability to combat bacteria and germs by broadly activating immunity.
Rejuvenation is essential for vitality, creativity, happiness, and inner growth.
The Rasayana or rejuvenation therapy focuses on keeping the enzymes in the tissue cells functioning at their optimum level. As well as revitalizing the cells, Rasayana promotes feelings of tranquillity, softens, and soothes bones. This practice reduces the effects of the aging process while making the individual much more resistant to disease even in their later years.
Ojas and the rejuvenation process
Ojas often referred to as the eighth tissue and said to be the essence of all tissues are central to any discussion of rejuvenation. Rasayana therapies are aimed at improving Ojas, which are central to the strength, immunity, and resistance of the body.
Essentially, there are three Rasayana methods aimed at improving Ojas
- Behavioral modalities (Achara Rasayana) involve positive behaviors that will improve psychological and spiritual health
- Dietary modalities (Ahara Rasayana) involves following eating rules that prescribe certain food types.
- Herbs modalities (Aushada Rasayana) involves the use of specific combinations of herbs to combat various types of illnesses.
So what are the Benefits of Rasayana?
The word Rasayana is made up of two words Rasa and Ayan.
The meaning of Rasa is “nourishing juice.”
The meaning of Ayan is “pathways or channels”
When the two terms are combined, they can be interpreted to mean the way to get nourishing juice. So how does this nourishing juice benefit the individual?
Here are the key benefits.
- Has anti-aging properties
- Helps to increase vitality and energy
- Enhances memory and intellect
- Helps to rebuild and repair tissue
- Helps to increase strength
- Helps to repair and build tissue
- Builds immunity and increases resistance to disease
- Reverses the damage caused by free radicals
- Increases ojas
- Helps to calm and nourish the nervous system
- Helps to improve the complexion
- Helps to nourish and lubricate the skin
- Helps to maintain a healthy mental, emotional and physical state
- Helps to strengthen the sensory organs
- Helps to improve vitality and virility
The properties of Rasayana Herbs
Many herbs contained within Rasayana therapies contain antioxidants. According to ayurvedic practice, Rasayana assists in the proper development growth and functioning of all seven tissues.
Some of the key herbs and their main properties used in Rasayana include:
- Ashwagandha – when taken daily will assist in balancing Vata (the first principle of Ayurveda which governs movement), strengthening muscle and reproductive tissue. Colloquially known as winter cherry, Ashwagandha has been demonstrated to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immuno-modulatory (stimulation of antibodies)properties. It helps with battling insomnia, depression, anxiety, and lethargy. It also aids in memory.
- Shatavari -The Shatavari root also has immunomodulatory and antioxidant properties. Colloquially known as wild asparagus, Shatavari acts as an adaptogen and will increase your ability to cope with stress be it emotional, physical, mental or environmental. It is one of the main Rasayanas for Pitta (digestion, metabolism and energy production)and is useful in the treatment of urinary problems, hyperacidity, infertility, PMS and menopausal problems.
- Triphala is a compound of three fruits that will help harmonize digestion and will work to improve all three doshas.
- Gotu Kola: This tonic acts to rejuvenate the nervous system. The tonic works to balance all three doshas and will help to improve mental faculties such as concentration, memory, and clarity. It will help to improve blood flow thereby enhancing tissue repair. It is helpful in treating insomnia, fatigue, skin conditions and problems with learning or behavior.
- Amalaki or Indian Gooseberry stimulates all three doshas as well as the lungs and reproductive systems. Known for its high Vitamin C content and antioxidant properties help to reduce serum cholesterol and have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It is a Rasayana for Pitta
Rasayana is most effective when the body is relatively clean and toxin-free. “Performing Rasayana while toxins are present is like dying a dirty cloth. If you want to dye cloth, you must clean it first in order to allow the dye to shine.”
Therefore, it is crucial that those seeking Rasayana treatment should firstly undertake full Panchakarma detoxification to prepare for Rasayana. Once the detoxification is complete, a suitable Rasayana program that is commensurate with your age, body type, physical state, and the desired outcome.
In ancient times the Kings and Queens of India were treated like Gods and the therapies of Panchakarma and Rasayana were regularly administered to keep them in a good state of health and to live longer. These royal treatments are now available to us all. The Ayurvedic principles are available to everyone and you can afford to enjoy a rejuvenating Rasayana cleanse that will help you to maximize the body’s self-healing capabilities..
Ayurveda will teach you to go with the flow with nature’s energies. Undergoing regular rejuvenation and detox therapy via Rasayana is an important part of that process. Call us today to discuss your detox program.