As Mother Nature moves from the cold and dark of winter towards spring, it’s vital to change your mind and body along with it. Since Ayurveda suggests that early spring is a Kapha season, we should make sure to begin spring season with a new lifestyle, diet and appropriate Ayurvedic treatments to cleanse and renew our body.
“Panchakarma”, the Ayurvedic method of detoxification helps to eliminate deep seared toxins from tissues and cells. It aids eliminating the excess imbalances in the three doshas, while boosting the immune system and calming the nervous system with its unique benefits.
As per Ayurvedic texts, we should make sure to avoid heavy food since it will lead to spring allergies, water retention, sluggishness, and seasonal affective disorders. Not only that but also there are other vital factors which we should keep in our minds to survive in this upcoming spring season. Therefore here are some Ayurvedic tips to help you surf the season safely:
- Drink plenty of liquid. Especially hot water to stimulate toxin release.
- Make sure to add a little bit more bitter tasting herbs and greens, spices like ginger, to help protect you from spring colds.
- Be careful with Kapha aggravating flavours like sweet and sour, heavy and fatty food. Ayurveda recommends eating mild and light food like brown rice.
- Avoid eating leftovers and foods grown with chemical fertilisers and pesticides since your body has to perform harder to remove toxins found in these foods.
- Try to avoid cold drinks since they tend to reduce your digestive fire (Agni).
- Go to bed early.
Spring time is magical and dynamic. So, get ready to enjoy your spring season in an Ayurvedic way and you’ll not only feel healthier and lighter, but also nourished and energetic.
See here for more information on the full list of ayurvedic treatments available from the Ayurvedic Wellness Centre.